in , , ,

Festival Turns Fatal: Fireworks Blast Kills Eight in China’s Lunar New Year Countdown

A festive countdown in eastern China ended in tragedy after a powerful explosion ripped through a rural fireworks shop, killing eight people and injuring two others just days before the Lunar New Year.

The blast happened on Sunday afternoon in Donghai County, Jiangsu province. It struck shortly after 2:30 p.m. Thick smoke filled the sky. Flames swept through a nearby fireworks store. Villagers ran for safety. Others rushed to help the injured.

Local officials said the explosion was caused by the “improper discharge” of fireworks by one or more residents near the shop. The fireworks ignited stock stored inside the building. Within seconds, the store became a fireball.

Emergency teams arrived quickly. Firefighters battled the blaze. Police sealed off the area. Medics treated the wounded. By 4 p.m., the fire was under control. Eight people were confirmed dead. Two others suffered minor burns and were taken to hospital.

Investigators were sent to the scene. Authorities said those responsible had been taken into custody. A full inquiry is now underway.

The accident came as millions across China prepare to celebrate the Lunar New Year, also known as the Spring Festival. The holiday is marked with family gatherings, loud fireworks and colorful displays. Firecrackers are traditionally set off at midnight to scare away bad spirits and welcome good luck.

But the practice is risky. In recent years, many Chinese cities banned or limited fireworks because of air pollution and safety fears. Some of those rules were eased last year, allowing fireworks to return in certain areas.

After Sunday’s blast, the Ministry of Emergency Management issued a nationwide warning. It said China was entering the peak season for fireworks use. Citizens were told not to test-fire fireworks or smoke near shops. Fireworks companies were ordered to carry out full safety inspections.

“Trying out fireworks around stores must be strictly prohibited,” the ministry said. It urged local governments to remove safety blind spots to keep people safe during the holiday.

Industrial accidents remain a serious problem in China. This month, an explosion at a biotech factory in Shanxi province killed eight people. In late January, a steel plant blast in Inner Mongolia left at least nine dead.

As the Year of the Horse begins, the tragedy in Donghai is a stark reminder. Celebration can turn deadly when safety is ignored.


Discover more from ULIZA LINKS NEWS

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Written by uliza digital

Senate in Turmoil as Onyonka Lifts Lid on Secret Bribe Talks Between Governors and Powerful Committees